Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Experimentation in Discovery


   As some of you know, I have been fairly less "posty" with this blog than some of our other staff writers, opting instead for bigger blogs at less frequent times. This has been primarily from my inability to see myself as very interesting, let alone somebody who can always say something "witty" or "hip" ... heck, or even "educational."

   As I have posted, I have come to slowly find that at times it isn't always the message ( even if that message is something important ), but rather it is the fact that something is being said. Period. Will it always be good? Heck no, but at least it is effort.



   What I would encourage students, and even past students, to do is strive for constantly doing something to sharpen your mind(s)/bodies/and routines. This can be reading a new book outside of your normal comfort zones, or setting up to talk with a professor or student about their course work which is not your major, etc...

   One of the more interesting things I got to do was attend some of the UT Tyler Historical Society's "Faculty Fandango" events, hosted by Dr. James Newsom. I am not a History Major, but it was fascinating to see other professors speaking to us about what THEY enjoyed about history and sharing that passion.

   Our campus has many events put on by student groups, the Administration, Arts groups, etc... I heavily encourage anyone to venture over to the Cowan Center and see what is playing! Get some of the free tickets and see a show you might not normally attend.

   [ Shameless plug! ] I decided to try enforcing better blogging habits by creating my own comic-based blog, Narrative Nonsense. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment