Thursday, June 14, 2012

Road Trip Safety

     It was New Years Day in 2011, when Katie Horn, an aspiring Math teacher,  made her way back from a trip to Austin, TX. Miss Katie took that weekend trip to Austin to see her older brother, and had to drive back a little too late. The long road was dark, and she couldn't see too far in front of herself. She hit a hog. Yeah, you heard me- she almost totaled her car by hitting a giant pig. She got stuck in the middle of nowhere.
     Because Katie was on this trip alone, she went to call for help. Her cellphone was dead, and she had no car charger. She kept on her lights for safety, and her battery died. She had to make a paper sign that read 'HELP ME' in scribbled pen because that is all she had.



She was lucky that a nice family eventually drove by and found her.
       It is about time I make my way home to Oklahoma for a visit. I've been here at UT Tyler studying and working for six whole months, and I need a break!
BUT before I go, I'd like to leave you with a list of things that I think are a must have on trips you are taking alone or just long distance in general (so I can think to pack them for myself).
  • Snacks. Duh, of course that is first! I'll be stuck in a  car for six and a half hours and my snack bag will be stocked (fruits, vegetables, nuts, and cookies awwyeah).
  • Blue skies are the best skies to drive under, because they (hopefully) won't open up on you, and the daylight ensures you and your vehicle will be visible. 
  • Plenty of water! You never know when you won't be able to properly stop.
  • Cash stashed away. In case that old gas station doesn't take cash, or you need to pay for anything. 
  • A car charger for my cell phone. Safety first, and if I can't call anyone for help I'd be stuck in that great expanse on the highway. 
  • Bluetooth headsets may be handy for safety as well. Hands free communication is the way to go if you are driving.
  • A good, old fashioned M-A-P. Those things do not lose a charge, no matter how many times you look at them.
The rest of the important stuff (underpants, tooth brush, 7 changes of shoes), y'all should know about all that. 
B)
Oklahoma or bust.

2 comments:

psaikin said...

ONLY 7 changes of shoes? FOR AN ENTIRE WEEKEND?!?!

aharrell said...

O_o you do not specify number of underpants, only shoes... ;-)

Post a Comment