Sunday, June 17, 2012

How I Met My Roommates

          Everything changes; I'm still not used to it. I am one of those annoying people that likes to know what to expect. However, when I have to move every few years, and am constantly put in new situations meeting new people, it can really rev my anxiety. Having a strong support system is important to me, so I knew my goal when I got to UT Tyler would be to make friends. The idea of that excited me and put me on edge.

What if I couldn't find my kind of people? What is my kind of people?

        During new student orientation (what many of you are going through now) I met many, many new people. This guy named Sam was in my group, and he was very intelligent, and called himself "Stupid Sam" during our name game, and I'll never forget. He and I ate at Applebees a few days ago. Natalie was in our group, too, but at that time she feigned a mustache with her pointer finger and called herself "Notorious Natalie". She ended up dating one of our friends and I love seeing her around. "Krazy Kelsey," a future art student and I really hit it off. I got phone numbers. We traded emails and added each other to facebook.

When I ~finally~ got here on move in day, I had met my roommates and started making my rounds in OHall. I was texting all those new people I met. Kelsey invited me to the fifth floor, where she lived, for some coffee.

         Oh, I was nervous, but I walked up anyway. Kelsey is totally sweet, so I shouldn't have been nervous in the slightest. She introduced me to her roommates, absent-mindedly and
we realllllly hit it off.
Like. Really.

Baylee just stopped what she was doing to talk to me.
Cassidy came out in her towel and started talking to us.

The towel happened to be purple, and that really cemented it because we all exclaimed how it happened to be our favorite color- and the rest was college memory history. We became instant friends, and Kelsey is still cool and everything, but with some people, you just instantly click.

So, don't be too anxious to get out there.
You may find some fun memories and friends to keep.


No comments:

Post a Comment