Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Writing, or … that Stuff I hate Pt. 2

Writing, or … that Stuff I hate Pt. 2
A Novel Idea
   As an English major, one of the things that I encounter very often is people who want to use their immersion in literature to fuel their own writing. This is fine-and-dandy, I love it. It is what *I* want to do with my life, that and teach in a University.
   I think one of the bigger issues people have with writing is that, despite the charm and highlife that comes with the idea of being a writer, the reality is *much* more grueling.
   That book ain’t gonna write itself



   To put my own willpower and determination to the test, I decided to start a writing project that would have me at a 150,000-word-ish novel over two months. After 10 days I had cleared 32,000 words which was my goal for Novella #1 of 4.
   Now I am (laboriously) working through hearing from test-readers and working on drafts of writing, re-writing, and so forth.
   What then does this have to do with my English Career? I’d say it has given me a lifetime of accomplishments to reflect on. I’ve seen novels of every shape and size that have been published, and I also have put myself through very odd experiments to adjust myself and find my own style.
   One of the best I have encountered ( which I believe was in Stephen King’s ‘On Writing’ ) was that you can actually re-write the pages of other authors onto new paper. This puts you into the head of the writer and it gives you a feel for HOW the writing process really is. I am in *NO* way saying you should PLAGARIZE their work, but this process can sometimes let you break past some writing blocks and get a sense of if you like/dislike a particular style.
   Another thing that I believe English Majors learn fast if they are working on their own creative writing is that they acquire thick skin, not because they are naturally resistant to criticism, but because they need it to survive. Not being able to properly take criticism well is a tough think a field relating to writing, writing a book, writing a report, etc…
   I also think, like with any major, you need to have a goal in mind and with English it is largely self-exploratory: WHY do you want to write, WHAT do you want to write, WHO are you as a writer, etc… Many majors are very good for working you into a system, from a lab technician to a nurse: you are trained to fill a role and you are responsible for your own upward mobility. Writers and many off-variation English/Literature paths I think are difficult because they require dedication to making something of yourself and discovering what you want to write on… and then doing it!
   I don’t want to re-invent the wheel, I just want to tell fantasy-adventure stories. That’s what makes me happy, regardless of money or fame.
   But, that is just me.

1 comment:

konman said...

Yes, thick skin, re-inventing the wheel, not plagiarizing, telling stories, yes to all these things.

Post a Comment