Thursday, October 31, 2013

Let's Costume Like Adults

When you have something going on during Halloween, you want to do something great. Sometimes you walk down the aisles of the store and see the Halloween section, but the costumes there just don't cut it. The Halloween store doesn't have anything that fits your needs.

   


You end up buying a generic bagged costume (pictured above) and then you vow that next year, your costume will be better. You've thought about making your own, but Halloween is literally days away and you don't have the time or the resources.


I've made my own costumes in the past, so don't think that making your own is impossible. It just takes a bit of planning and patience to make it.

This year, I'm going to be Vanellope von Schweetz 



In order to be successful in making your own costume, you have to plan well ahead of time. Start planning how you're going to make your costume about two months ahead and start making it one month prior. 

Note: if your costume requires more intricate work (like armor or a helmet), you will probably have to start planning about four to six months. 

Once you decide what costume you're going to do, you have to carefully plan what the costume will consist of and how you're going to achieve it. In the middle of making your costume, it is difficult to change your mind about how something is going to be held together. 

If money is an issue, you can start gathering a few items every week or so. Make sure to read all the directions on your items if you're going to craft some things. I had to make clay candy to pin to my hair; when I bought the clay, I had to make sure I would have sufficient time to create a final project. 


I like clay things
Any time you make your own costume, a needle and thread and a hot glue gun are your best friends. It's always best to choose a costume that has elements that you can find pre-made and add a few tweaks. I bought a teal hoodie (I was prepared to buy a white one and dye it), a black pleated skirt, and teal leggings.

I used white leggings to make the stripes on the teal ones and I used a pair of pink shoelaces to match Vanellope. I already own a pair of black shoes, and I have green contacts. All I have left is to dye my hair black and I'm set for Halloween!

What are you dressing up as for Halloween? 

No comments:

Post a Comment