Sunday, October 27, 2013

I’m a V.I.P; I’m kind of a big deal

                My orientation leader days may be in the past, but the memories still loom around my psyche. I still remember every laughter and happiness that occurred when I worked orientation. I loved helping students transition to our university. I miss the days where I got to see my fellow orientation leaders and enjoyed the stress free summer days. I may or may not do this again, but I found another opportunity to transfer my knowledge of the university. I got the job as a Very Important Patriot, V.I.P for short.


                VIPs are current students that provide visitors with group tours around The University of Texas at Tyler. The role of the V.I.P is to act as a leader and tour guide, as prospective students get to experience the university for the first time. Tours are not only available to high school students that are about to graduate and apply to college. These tours are also provided to middle school students and even elementary students. No matter what age you are, it is never too early or too late to think about college.

                Each tour consists of a video presentation presented by Roger Sims, the head of the V.I.P program, outlining what UT Tyler offers in regards to the degrees of study and amenities. After the presentation, the students are divided into groups depending on how many VIPs are working that tour. The students then proceed to tour the buildings of UT Tyler and what is offered within the university. Lunch usually follows after the tour.

                I wanted to become a V.I.P because I enjoy showing future students, no matter what age, how beautiful and great the campus is. We have beautiful scenery and the buildings always look new and innovative.  I've missed being able to provide a great experience to prospective students, so I jumped into the opportunity to continue what I did in orientation. Not only that, but I also get a shirt with my last name on the back. There’s nothing better than getting free personalized shirts!

                Last Tuesday October 22, 2013, I attended the V.I.P orientation. Here, Roger explained the duties and responsibilities that make up the job. I have to uphold the same responsibilities, attitudes and respectful mannerisms that I had as an orientation leader. It was straight forward and informative. I also got to meet my fellow VIPs and they seem to be a great group of people. I also got a free pen, folder and flag!!! No, it’s not just a pen; it’s a UT Tyler pen. Whenever you get free stuff you will understand that it makes everything exciting!

                I cannot wait to share this experience with future students! Hopefully it can be just as fun and rewarding as it was this summer. I will see where this experience takes me.

                If you live more far from campus and can't really visit, don't fret, there's a virtual tour you can take of the campus. Click here to take the virtual tour.


                If you would like to schedule a group tour, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment