Saturday, October 20, 2012

Flu Season, Patriots… Stay Healthy!

My state as I write this blog: blocked nose, sore throat, voice like that of a man, nauseated.


 I always get sick at this time of the year, when the weather is in the process of changing. And so is everyone around me!

As the weather continues to power on to Fall Season, we experience a fluctuation of cold and hot weather. I think that confuses my body and eventually, my immune system fails me.

I cannot believe my luck that I would get sick this week; a week full of exams and quizzes. I’ve already missed three classes because my fever reached 103°F yesterday. And now I’m in a state of worry on how I’m going to catch up on missed school work. I blame Murphy’s Law.

I went to the University Health Clinic yesterday and got a note. They also prescribed me some medicine that helped break my fever. But I’m still pretty sick and I’m still very behind on work.

So if you’re one of those that’s already infected, here’s are some things that’s helping me get better:
  •  Go to the clinic. That’s the first step because they will know what’s going on in your body and prescribe you some medicine. (Also, there’s the chance that it’s not flu, so it’s better safe than sorry)
  •  If you don’t have the time or energy to go to the clinic, over the counter medication could be your best bet.
  •  VITAMIN C. Cannot express how much Vitamin C will help. It boosts your immune system and helps you get better faster and prevents any other sickness. Oranges/Vitamin C supplements are good.
  •  Fluids. Being sick gets you dehydrated and your body will always need more fluids than normal.
  •  Lots of rest, staying warm (but not too warm, because that elevates your body temperature if you have a fever) and avoiding extra physical work.
Also, if you’re not sick yet (lucky you), here are some preventative measures you might want to take:
  • Again, VITAMIC C. A strong immune system is key.
  • Get your flu shot :) The University Health Clinic provides this shot and you can set up an appointment and get one.
  • Stay away from sick people (for obvious reasons)
  • Keep pocket hand sanitizer with you at all times, and use it as necessary. Kill ‘em germs.
  • Keep your apartment/living space clean. Bacteria and germs LOVE mess and dirty places and you wouldn’t want your space to be a breeding ground for that.
You should also read my co-blogger Gabby’s blog on more tips about staying healthy and germ-free. 
I hope everyone else is had a great week and looking forward to Homecoming! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment