Thursday, September 6, 2012

Treating Your Body with Compassion

 

     As I wrote in earlier blogs, I was not too thrilled about turning 20. I am not a "teen" anymore and still a year short of being 21!:( The start of my birthday week didn't go as well as I hope and only added to the dreading of my birthday. Perhaps I don't like my birthdays because it just means another year of being older and another step into being an official adult.... so scary. So when Tuesday afternoon came and I started a mild fever, followed by fatigue and nausea ( I cannot remember to spell this word. EVER!) I thought, this is just my luck! The second week of school and I'm already sick! Fortunately The University Health Clinic was able to see me the next day.

     There are many preventive ways to avoid the spreading of germs and getting sick!



    From:Getty.com
    • WASH YOUR HANDS!-  This is the obvious and one of the most effective ways to avoid getting sick and spreading germs. 
    •  Hand Sanitizer-  Seriously you can get these sooo cheap! My friend went to the dollar store and got us a pack with two 2 oz. bottles for yes, ONE DOLLAR (plus tax of course) after watching the movie Contagion. We we're quite paranoid after that :)
    • Sneeze and cough properly- Yes there are proper ways to do these! When you feel a sneeze coming, face away from other people, and sneeze into your elbows. This way you don't sneeze in your hands that you touch others and things with! 
    • Don't share utensils or water bottles-  Taking a sip from a friend's water bottle or sharing a bite of their food with their fork is one of the easiest way to spread germs aside from kissing of course. 
    • Disinfecting/ cleaning supplies-  Have lysol disinfecting spray at hand! They come with various fragrances :) Smells very nice. My roommates literally sprayed the WHOLE apartment when I told them I wasn't feeling well. They were a tad bit paranoid..  Also, Clorox Wipes are hands down the most vital things for cleaning and disinfecting. 
    • Exercise and getting a good night sleep- Exercising and getting the recommended amount of 8 hours helps maintains healthy immune system. We all know that all nighters and very late bed times are usually happens in college but try to get the most sleep you can! And napping between classes are always nice :) 
    • If you're sick, STAY AT HOME!- If you are not feeling well, and I mean really not feeling well, not just because you don't want to go to class, then stay at home! There is no need for you to put more stress on your body or spread what you have with your peers. 

3 comments:

Jelissa Lair said...

I feel like this is directed at your roommates....

Unknown said...

They were definitely a big part of the inspiration of why I wrote it :)

Unknown said...

This is sick!

Post a Comment