Saturday, September 29, 2012

You Shall Not Pass (Math)!!

Today I took my very first college math test EVER! I really didn’t know what to expect from it, mostly because in high school, I found the majority of my tests to be very easy to pass. I was friends with a lot of seniors when I was a junior, and when they went to college, they told me about how the tests in college are very different than in high school! So in remembering that, I was very nervous when I realized that a test worth a lot of my final grade was coming up. Luckily, I wasn’t the only one in my class that felt that way. In fact, most of the class was dreading the test.

                Another thing that I was worried about was how to study, because I’ve never really had to study for anything before. Since I don’t exactly have perfect study habits, it’s very beneficial that I go to the math lab.
                What’s a “math lab” you may ask? Well, the math lab is a magical place where you go on campus that has a bunch of resources and tutors to help you with any math homework, or to help you study before a test! If you don’t know how to do a problem, they sit there and help you figure out and learn what to do!

               For people like me, whom math doesn’t come naturally to, the math lab proves to be very helpful! Especially when you have no idea what your professor is teaching. If you go, you’re more likely to make a better letter grade than people who don’t go, so that’s definitely good!         
                It’s always a good thing to have good study habits. Sometimes, it’s better to study your butt off, than it is to go hang out with your friends at least one night a week. That’s honestly something that I’m having trouble with... Instead of choosing to study OR hang out with people, I do both, which is probably the worst mistake I’ve made so far. I go without sleep most nights, which leaves me tired during classes, thus keeping me from actually learning in class. It’s a never-ending cycle, and it’s a habit I’m trying to break.

                Just remember that this is college, where you pay for classes and have to follow a certain curriculum to graduate. If you don’t study, you might fail the class. And if you fail, you might be forced to retake that class. So it’s best to just do it right the first time, right? Right.
                I encourage you to visit the math lab at least once this semester, even if you're great at math. After all, you never know what you might learn, and you might just have some fun! The Math Lab is located on the fourth floor of the Ratliff Building North (RBN).

No comments:

Post a Comment