Monday, September 24, 2012

Mid-Semester Madness

You know those stressful times where you have 3 tests to study for and homework in 2 other classes? I don't! Well, not anymore.

As a child, my Kindergarten teacher described my by saying "Her internal clock just isn't ticking!" I was all about the fun and socializing, and I easily lost my focus when a task was at hand.

At some point in my educational career, I really turned things around. REALLY. Now, most of my friends and family would describe me as a hyper-organized individual that almost plans too much!

This was a to-do list that I made for myself last semester. Intense...I know.
I made sure to cross things off as I completed them!
But fret no more, my fellow students! I'm about to give you the keys to the kingdom! Or...just my personal organizational habits that have VASTLY improved my time management skills.

1) Have a plan.
Make short-term goals to help you through the process of tackling a large group of tasks. This could be in the form of to-do lists, finishing one task completely before moving to another, scheduling breaks so that you don't take too many, and setting homework-specific nights (Mondays-English, Tuesdays-Math, etc.) Using one or a combination of these methods will set you up for a productive and successful session.
Just another to-do list. :)
2) Follow through with your plan!
Get rid of your distractions. If you know that you can't focus with the TV on, then don't have your favorite show playing in the background. Put your phone on silent or turn it off. Have a reward system where you get a short break and snack after completing one task. Make sure that you do exactly what you set out to do!
3) Plan for the future.
Always remember the feeling of just trying to keep your head above water so that you can remind yourself why you're doing these things in the future: buy a planner AND keep up with it, continue with the to-do lists (there's a certain satisfaction when you get to cross something off), be aware of your social calendar and do your homework/projects EARLIER rather than later.
You CAN become a prepared, organized student if you consciously make sure changes in your academic routines (or lack thereof). I hope this helps! :)

1 comment:

Post a Comment