Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Longboarding Will Save Me From Super Summer

I began longboarding back home about 2 years ago but stopped as soon as I started. I picked it up again in California (where I go to visit my mom every now and then).
And now, being car-less in Tyler, I have discovered how great it is in terms of transportation. 

So, this weekend I went ahead and got myself a 46" pintail longboard. 

Longboards are different from the regular street skateboard. Skateboarding is more of tricks and flips whereas longboard is more of cruising but still with its own share of extreme sport fun.
Downhill is a type of longboarding discipline where a person rides his/her longboard downhill at great speed. Sliding is when you make a tight turn and hold your hands out to the ground and push your board out so it's not gripping the pavement and it's moving freely.
Carving is another type where you just move in a wave motion from left to right (kind of like surfing). Another popular one is dancing (girl at 5:04 mark does it well), where the person cross-steps on a moving longboard. There are a lot more but these are the ones I am personally interested in.
For downhill and sliding, you might want to look at  drop-through decks that's lower to the ground because those types are more stable at fast speeds. 
I got a pintail deck which is disciplined more towards carving, cruising and dancing (because of the wide deck) and also because of its aesthetic nature.

I was very excited to try it out, especially because I could now easily get around campus without having to walk. Also, I've seen a lot of UT Tyler students around campus on longboards. It really is practical.

Because I had a pintail, I told myself I would not try bombing hills and stick to carving and dancing. But did I?
No, I regret to say. I did not stick to the smart choice.
Bombing hills is possible with a pintail but it requires a lot of practice. But genius Katrina went ahead and got her longboard on a hill. Before I knew it, I was skating downhill at 25... 30 ...35mph... and there it was... a speed wobble. Before I could do anything else, I was flying off my board and into the asphalt, hands out first.


The good news- I was wearing a helmet. Which is always a good choice. The bad news- I wasn't wearing any other protective gear. I scratched the heels of my palm but my hips broke most of my fall. Ouch. 
I guess I didn't sustain any more injury than that because I landed half on the asphalt and half on grass.

Moral of the story? Make sure you are good enough to do something potentially dangerous. Also, protective gear. Especially helmets. For all bikers, skateboarders, longboarders out there (Just like Patrick in this video).

My palms and hip hurt but right now I'm just glad I have my longboard to whisk me away to class and work instead of walking in this Texas Super Summer.

19 comments:

Longboard Helmet said...

Skateboarding is more of tricks and flips whereas longboard is more of cruising but still with its own ... longboardhelmet.blogspot.com

Purnima said...

For self safety is is good for wearing a helmet , when you will run in a longboard. But is is also required to wearing any other protective gear.

Very interesting post for longboarding.

Olcena Kanon said...

The post you have written is really wonderful and helpful for beginner,
especially the Recent history was new for me.I am stay here , Good luck!

Unknown said...

longboarding is fun, here are 100 reasons why you should longboard.
enjoy,

http://longboardsusa.com/100-reasons-to-learn-to-longboard/

carver

Unknown said...

100 reasons to s longboard now as link:-)

Jon said...

Long-boards are different from the regular street skateboard. It is a good blog post.

Nishath Khandakar said...

Your tricks really work . here is latest long boards Longboard reviews2016




GeorgeMMichels said...

im looking for a nice drop through cruiser but also good for sliding i want to go downhill but also dont want it to be to long looking for in between 39-41 any segestions

Md Nishat Khandakar said...

All boards looking beauty and so quality full.I was bought my first loangboard when i was 16+ .Now i am expert on longboard riding.My recommendation is,You can find best longboards from here Trick tips for longboard rider

Best longboards said...

Very Inspirational article. I like the post. Hence there you can find some tips on longbaordings lonboards for beginners

Walter said...

Great information at the kinds of longboard styles. I totally understand the temptation of bombing hills. Even when I'm on my penny board, I bomb hills (even if it's dangerous) because it just feels so exciting! We're all thrill-seekers anyway, right?

Peter Ndagi said...

Thanks for this great article. I'm a big lover of skateboarding. If you're a beginner who would love to try skateboarding, this is an article for you best skateboard brands for beginners

Ham Boards said...

As seen on ABCs Shark Tank with Robert Herjavec. Hamboards handcrafted Surfskate boards land paddles bring Earth Surfing to the world.
best longboard for cruising

Simon Mayers said...

Damien Greer Lawyers have a reputation for excellence in the family law field and is one of the state's leading law firms in Brisbane.
Read More

James Larson said...

Expert divorce and family lawyers offers you easy tips to help to hire best family lawyers
Visit My Website

Change Jesse Cotter said...

Insurance, Family Law, Insolvency & Debt Recovery, Business Disputes, Workplace and Employment Law, HR/IR. BTLawyers is here to help.Click To read More

Anthony Cassidy said...

Insurance, Family Law, Insolvency & Debt Recovery, Business Disputes, Workplace and Employment Law, HR/IR. BTLawyers is here to help.Visit My Website

Eve Dawbin said...

Family law solicitors committed to providing you with professional support and family law advice about your rights and entitlements
My website

Shariful said...

My Celebrity Bio - be it a man or a woman - always come in front of the world as a healthy and happy individual. Any celebrity falling ill is a very rare case we hear of and when it happens, it comes up as big news! The main secret behind this is the balanced diet and the lifestyle followed by these celebrities.

Post a Comment