Thursday, January 19, 2012

The School Gym


I have been fortunate enough to schedule classes that grant me a little downtime before I go to work, so what better way to pass the time than to get myself back into shape? So that's what I've been trying to do, after my classes tues/thurs I head over to the HPC and do my little workouts, then head over to my second home (work.) Our gym is really awesome basically. Two floors, lots of equipment to use, places to play different sports like racquetball, which I still haven't had a chance to play. But yeah, it's something I really needed, for I have slipped into the warm fuzzy embrace of laziness so I'm really lucky the school offers me something to combat the menace!

Fun Facts of the HPC from the UT Tyler website:

At 127,000 square feet, the Herrington Patriot Center is the largest building on campus.

$6.4 million gift from Joseph and Louise Ornelas made the building possible. The center’s name honors the family of Louise Herrington Ornelas

The Jean Lancaster Academic wing is named to honor the sister of Louise Ornelas.

UT Regents appropriated $9.7 million from the Permanent University Fund to construct the academic portions of the center.

Over 500,000 bricks were used in the facility construction.

Construction time – 19 months

The maple gymnasium floor in the Fisch Convocation Center features a unique maple floor designed to be easier on the knees of student athletes.

Six athletic team locker rooms are included in the building.

The athletic trainer’s office includes a hydrotherapy room.

The Patriot baseball team will utilize an indoor batting cage within the facility.

The Vaughn Pool holds 100,000 gallons of water.

The HPC typically offers over 45 fitness classes per week.

No comments:

Post a Comment