Thursday, January 19, 2012

ROOMMATES = BEST FRIENDS FOREVER... kind of

One of the things that I was the most excited about for college was roommates! I don’t know why, but I thought having roommates would be so much fun. I mean who wouldn’t want to live with their friends and just hang out all the time together. In my mind roommates were going to be like siblings on steroids. I would be around them all the time just like siblings but I would enjoy spending time around them which was going to be AWESOME! My freshman year I went completely pot luck for roommates in one of the on-campus housing apartments. I would live with three other girls and we would be best friends for the rest of our lives! This, unfortunately, was not how it turned out.
            I am not saying that the girls I did live with were terrible (I still actually live with one of them) but rather that our living arrangements were… interesting. We were four very different girls living in one very small space. I am not sure what happened at the housing office, but two of us were night owls and the other two were morning people. We all had weird food allergies, we were all from different cities, we all had different majors; it was like we were the products of a social experiment. Once we noticed how different we all were and how humorous the whole thing had become we bonded over that and started to get along better. By the second semester we would actually eat meals together and in a way became a sort of dysfunctional family. It wasn’t what I had originally imagined but we all learned from one another and now that I am no longer in that situation I can look back and say I am glad that I had that experience.  One of the girls I actually still live with, we have become best friends and will probably stay that way the rest of our lives. But I am sure I will share more about her later. Until next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is so interesting!! i hope i can live with the same roommate for 4 years straight and not want to go across the country to get away from them in the end! :))

Post a Comment