Saturday, February 1, 2014

UT Tyler Spring Recruitment is here!

                It’s that time of the year again! Spring rush week is occurring this week and next week. The spring semester differs from fall recruitment as this is informal rush week. It is informal because there is no set schedule of when each fraternity will host events.  Each of the three chapters has activities on different days of the week, instead of the extensive process in the fall formal recruitment. This will be my first recruitment week since I got initiated into Sigma Alpha Epsilon this past fall semester. So I will just tell you a little about my personal experience going through this process. I speak only for myself when I say that this has been a great opportunity.



                  
                You may ask: Why should you join Greek Life?

                Greek life allows students to get involved on campus in a different aspect. You belong in a group of men and women that pride themselves in service, leadership and more importantly scholarship. Fraternities and sororities are responsible for the most service hours than other student organizations nationwide. Greek students also have the highest GPA’s in universities as we are upheld to academic excellence, or else we cannot be members. Joining Greek life also falls back to the importance of getting involved on campus besides your academic career. It gives you the chance to get to know different people and form strong friendships as you share unique commonalities.

                There are three fraternities on campus: Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Pi Kappa Phi and Kappa Sigma.

                If you have more questions about Greek life contact the Interfraternity Council at ifc@uttyler.edu

             This time around has been enriching in my experience in SAE. I started as a potential new member in September during formal recruitment. I went through the journey of learning our rich history and traditions to the final moment of my pledging period; initiation. As an initiated member, I feel empowered to be a leader among my peers to portray and promote leadership and academic excellence.

Since joining, I am now holding a position in the fraternity. I am the Eminent Correspondent. This position entails that I will handle alumni relations, posting on social media and writing newsletters. This is a great opportunity that goes along with my Public Relations major.  

Whichever fraternity you may consider in joining, just know that you made the right choice in joining Greek Life.