Friday, January 17, 2014

How to Handle Rejection

As I've mentioned in my last blog post, I've recently graduated and I have been job hunting since then.
Hunting for some jobs
I put in plenty of applications and sent my resume off in a million different directions.

So while I was optimistic and hoped that I would be offered employment soon, I knew that I was not going to get offered every single job I applied for.

I spent many hours simply searching for jobs that were looking for an applicant with my skill set; many more hours filling out online applications, answering questions and submitting my references.

Yes, it is very discouraging to hear back from an employer that they can't offer you the position you applied for (or to not hear back from them ever). I was having breakfast one day when I got a call after an interview to tell me that I wasn't selected; those pancakes didn't taste quite the same.

Thanks 
It's totally okay to feel bad because of rejection, but don't let that rejection bog you down. You still have other doors open.

I still had to hear back from other places that I applied and interviewed for. I could still find other places to apply.

Even after you face rejection, remember that the world isn't going to end and there are still a million different options out there for you.

What sticks with me the most, is during one interview, I was told that if I don't get the job, it wasn't because I wasn't qualified, but because there was someone who was more qualified or just a better fit for the job.

When you're out there looking for employment (or anything in life where they accept or reject you) remember that: there was someone else who was just a better match, not because you aren't good enough. You're going to be a good match somewhere: just keep looking!

After you get rejected, it's okay to take some self-care. Get some ice cream (maybe not ice cream in this cold), stay in and watch a movie, drink hot chocolate, go to a discount bookstore and buy a book, or take a bubble bath (they basically have magical properties).

Don't take rejection personally and keep working at it; you'll get there eventually. How about one more inspirational dog to end this post?


No comments:

Post a Comment