Thursday, December 19, 2013

Festivus For The Rest Of Us


   Have you ever heard of Festivus? Before yesterday I had never heard of Festivus and so I did some "research" (ie: I looked it up via Google). To my genuine shock I found where it comes from. Was it an old, ancient festival that had a revival in American/world practice? Was it a new, hippie/hipster holiday that is trending on Twitter?




So, it was actually from Seinfeld. Yup. Seinfeld

The idea at first is (rather!) ridiculous, however it does bring up an amusing issue regarding how we, as a country, celebrate the holidays. The term ""holidays" means different things to different people. For some the term means Christmas, for some The Feast of St. Nicholas, for some Yule, and for some it is just dinner with family. The joke of "Festivus" is that is is such an extreme and bizarre practice (obviously played for laughs at George's expense!) but the funny thing is? I am sure many, many people have their own holiday traditions.

Sadly, I am not sure how many holidays include Feats of Strength.

More of them should.

Merry Christmas, Happy Feasting, Happy Holidays, Joyful Yule, and Blessings to everyone at the close of the year!





No comments:

Post a Comment