Thursday, November 7, 2013

You can't cook?

Part of being a college student is fending for yourself when it comes to your meals (I don't mean using your dining dollars for every single meal). I've heard plenty of people say that they can't cook: they burn water, as the expression goes. I'm going to tell you to not listen to that noise.

Amen
Too many are afraid of making food because if it turns out badly, it would be a waste of food and time. That shouldn't stop you. I like to mostly bake, but I still try out new things to cook. And yes, I've messed up some recipes. Don't let that discourage you.

All you need are simple recipes, some creativity and some patience. After you learn some basics, you can get a little bolder and start experimenting with new things.


I've learned how to make breakfast without a stove. I have one, but making a few things in the microwave gave me some ideas of how to cook an entire meal in the microwave. I might be a little lazy about washing pans and spatulas. 

Back to cooking food (on a stove or in an oven).

You can start with a simple omelette. Don't laugh; there are people who will look at a recipe and turn (in a "nope" fashion) around in fear of cooking.

Demonstration of the "nope"
Once you think "Yeah, man. I got this omelette thing down" you can add toppings. This is where you can get creative. Learn to how make toppings and then you can use those same toppings on things like chicken, salads, broth (to make soup), and pasta (just add your favorite pasta sauce).

Look at that: you have learned how to cook five different dishes! Yay for food!

I like to cook because I get to eat it. 
Start small then build on that. Find the simplest recipes you can find and master them before you get fancy. Anyone can cook, just don't be afraid to get your hands dirty and to mess up on some dishes.

Let's get cooking! Let me know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment