Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Having a Pet at the University of Texas at Tyler

A pretty common question people begin to ask themselves as they begin to move into their own living quarters, like an apartment, is whether or not they want to invest in a pet.  I happen to be one of those individuals, and after much deliberation on the subject, I am proud to announce that I am a new proud owner of an 8 week old Miniature Dachshund puppy named Oliver.  

Fortunately for me, my family always had a thing for animals, and we often had up to 3 dogs at any given time, so I was pretty well versed in all of the basics of puppy care.  However, as I have quickly found out, there were many things that my parents did for me in terms of caring for the dog....




For one, I have never spent so much time hovering over an animal trying to determine whether or not it is using the bathroom.  My mom and dad always took care of this for me, so I have certainly had to adjust my schedule accordingly.  If you ever own an animal, especially a puppy, it is imperative that you establish a schedule with them so they know when to go to the bathroom, and when to hold it.  It is equally important that you have the discipline to pull yourself away from whatever you are doing to make sure that the puppy is not destroying your carpet, destroying furniture, or eating something that they shouldn't.

Second, I have to constantly watch my little Ollie.  If I don't pay too much attention to him he will begin to chew up my couch, bed, or the many wires in my living room.  This is also something that my parents always did for me, thus I have really had to adjust to being a "parent." This is also an important question to ask yourself if you want to get an animal during your time in college.  Many people are in love with the idea of having a puppy, but when the time comes to pay attention to him/her, they would rather just play video games or watch shows on Netflix.  This becomes especially important during times when classes really pick up, as you will have to balance your schoolwork with your time to care for your puppy.

Last, there are many costs that you will need to think about before first getting your animal.  Depending on where you live, you may have to pay some sort of pet deposit.  These can be quite costly ($100-$500). You also will need to begin allocating money for your animal's food, toys, and possible damages that your pet can cause in its time in your residence.  All of these are very important in making sure that you don't get a pet and then are unable to pay for everything that comes with it! If you don't know where to begin looking for things to buy for your pet, try looking at Petland or PetSmart.  These are both excellent stores where the employees will help you find anything you need if you aren't sure where to start.

Ultimately, I love having a dog.  It's awesome to have someone who will always be excited to see me when I get home.  However, a pet is not ideal for everyone.  Before you get an animal, you should think long and hard about whether or not you are willing to devote the necessary time to caring for your addition to your family.  Puppies are just like kids; they just grow up a little faster.  Thus, if you invest in a puppy, you should be ready to adjust your life accordingly.  Don't just be in love with the idea of being a puppy, but make sure that you are in love with the puppy as well, including everything that comes with it.

If you are still interested in a puppy, but aren't quite sure how to go about training him/her, be sure to look here for extra tips and guidelines for how to train any puppy!


                                       Above you can see little Ollie playing with his toys.

 And here you can see Ollie asleep on my couch

No comments:

Post a Comment