Monday, June 3, 2013

Entertainment & Educational Mobility as a Student


   So, if you've been a student for more than a few years recently you may have noticed that having a mobile device can be the difference between getting notes in class and using paper. Nothing wrong with using paper ( at all! ), however there is something to be mentioned for how electronic devices can help you on campus.

   Seeing as how I am a newly anointed Nook HD owner, I'll use this 'toy' as an example of how I might apply it to class.

    I am a former iPad owner and I really did love it. I love Apple products, however the time came to part from my iPad and I did it. Problem was, using my phone in class for notes, audio recording, etc...? Not so good. It didn't NOT work, but I wanted something better.

   I'd known about Kindle Fire HD, the Nook HD, and laptops as alternative options for a functioning mobile device but I went with the Nook HD. Why?

   Because I can install microSD cards and make my '8GB' Nook HD up to a 30GB Nook HD. I can not do that with an iPad or a Kindle Fire HD so, yea, there is that factor that was important to me.

   So how do I then use my device in class? My Nook HD comes with a lite Office Suite and Google Drive is also accessible so you can get into/out of/create documents. Taking notes on a 7-8" tablet is much easier than on a phone. If you have a mic you can also record the audio from your courses and save it for later.

   If you have e-books, obviously an e-book reader will come in handy. Also, if you have your own supplemental material(s) you can use the Nook HD's on-board reader or download Adobe Reader.

   If you are an avid biking/jogging/exercise enthusiast you can use the amazing app called Zombies, Run! which is an interactive story-driven pace game that rolls the story along based on how much you walk/run.

   Depending on your major, TED Talks has an app that you can access for inspirational/educational
purposes. BBC News, CNN, and countless other news apps are open to you.

   For connecting to your campus courses directly, Blackboard has its own App that can let you receive updates and alerts to your classes.

    Lastly, entertainment has countless options open to you for passing any free time you have: Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, Skype, and other apps ( like Google Music, my new fav. thing ever ) are all options.

   The downside to non-laptop portable devices is they do not have USB drives - if you forgot your paper, you can't get it* [*unless you loaded it to Google Drive which is my new standard for papers and notes. This will make it accessible from my Nook HD or my phone, or another PC].

   All in all, you have loads of options for how you make use of your devices on campus, both for fun and for academic use!

No comments:

Post a Comment