Monday, April 22, 2013

Choosing a Major at UT Tyler: EEEK!!!


So maybe you’re a freshman, just out of high school and you aren’t sure what direction you want to go with your college career. Or, maybe you’re an upperclassman who has discovered your dream to be a physics expert just isn’t working out. Whatever the case may be, whenever you find yourself floundering for a college major, it can be really scary.

To be honest with you guys, I came with a major in mind and scrapped it almost immediately, and remained undecided until last semester. Finally, I decided to major in Political Science here at The University of Texas at Tyler, only to hit another wall, and I’m considering changing my major again. I can tell you, finding your niche is not easy!


Luckily, I learned about this neat service our campus provides. If you’ve never seen it, we have a Student Counseling Center (Check out Michael's blog on getting support you need, here) up on the third floor of the University Center, and they offer a service called CareerCounseling, where you can walk in, make an appointment, and have several sessions in which you speak to a counselor and take a couple of assessments to determine some of your interests and personal strengths. 

The assessments I took were the STRONG interest inventory, and the Meyers-Brigg personality test. 

Once you take the tests, you can discuss your results and bounce some ideas with your counselor, and by the end, I know I felt like I was one step closer to finding my ideal career. The best part is, the service is completely free to students. 

The Headaches are Common

I’m still having a large amount to reconsider, though. I guess what you need to know is that it’s not terribly important to have a major especially for your first years. Taking your basic classes will be more than enough to keep most students busy! 

So, moral of the story, don’t freak out if you don’t know what to do with yourself. You’ll figure it out, and there are so many people in your boat, and many more who want to help. Don’t give up, and look at coming to college as an adventure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment