Friday, October 19, 2012

Alternative Adaptation Avoidance


Alternative Adaptation Avoidance: That isn't “my” Odyssey! 

   So, as by now many of you know, I am an English major with a bit of an interest in diverse forms of literature. Recently I got to have a conversation with one of my friends which dovetailed into what I will explain here in this post. My friend and I were heavily engaged in a discourse about the ethical pros and cons of alternative media … aka: we were totally talking about comics books. We’re nerds, this is what we do when we’re not doing homework.

    In recent comic-book-land the Detective Comics brand recently re-vamped their comics in a ways: re-setting characters, re-aging some, changing the history of others, etc… One of the biggest changes has been to everyone’s favorite Gothamite, the Joker.  In his new ‘incarnation’ he has undergone some … extreme … facial therapy and has a grudge against not just Batman, but rather his whole extended “Bat-Family” (ie: Robin, Batgirl, etc… ). This very dark and personal style of Joker does and does not fit the versions of his character made famous in other media, most particularly Mark Hamil and Heath Ledger which are just two examples. The less said trying to compare César Romero to this New 52 Joker, the better.

   ANYWAY. Yes, I am using this as an excuse to talk Batman, but I have a point! We got to talking about the pros and cons of what I will here call “Alternative Adaptations” of texts, ie: somebody takes a famous icon, story, what-not and then they change it suit different story/theme needs. I mentioned to my friend how I actually enjoyed the 2004 film adaptation of Troy, a comment that often draws scoffs and what I call the “twisty-face” effect. My reasoning for enjoying the adaptation was as follows.

SEE: "Twisty-Face" here encapsulated by David Tennant 

   In this 2004 version of the story the gods are implied to be either mythical, not interested in mankind, or beings who were jealous of men. This version of the story is a 180 degree heel turn from The Odyssey of Homer, a story where, I kid you not, a god of war gets stabbed by a mortal and limps off to Olympus to pout. People slaughter each other en mass in a river and the deity of said river gets offended. The story is basically Greek Dynasty Warriors!  What does the story keep or loose by changing the influences of the gods? I argue "nothing" because the heart of the story is about people. Sure, the gods give it awesome flavor and style, but at the end of the day the best part is the battle between Hector and Achilles. With or without the gods, the way Achilles treats Hector is a lesson about the need for mercy and respect in battle, even against hated enemies.

   Secondly, we get to see Agamemnon die. I make no apologies for the fact that in both versions, the film and the original text, the man is about as close to being a genuine Bronze Age super villain as we get that far back. Except for maybe Nebuchadnezzar. The primary text of The Odyssey does little to showcase his demise, forcing people instead to go and read the Oresteia. I am not saying those plays are not amazing, because they certainly are, but having to access a second text to find out of King Jerk got his just rewards?One of the strong points of the film version, I believe, to see Brian Cox’s scenery chewing villain get what he deserves.

   I believe that alternative texts should, where possible, can be taught with or following the primary text they take references from. One example would be using a graphic novel version of  Wuthering Heights to help students visualize the novel while they read it. Some might think that approaching any alternative or adaptation text is blasphemy, however I’d ask them to consider out friend the Greeks. They had many variations of their heroes and gods, some of whom have wildly differing origin stories depending on who you ask and what town you are from. I am looking at you, Dionysus. One minute you're a regular Greek deity, next you're an import from foreign lands. Same with Hecate, too.

   OPTIONAL AUTHOR’S SIDE TANGENT: Okay, so … I’ll admit that for some reason all the “alternative” forms of Dionysus have been silly. In Greek myth the guy is the ultimate cosmic troll ( for proof read The Bacchae ), a cross-dressing god of transgender insanity and discovery. He the Dr. Frank-N-Furter of the Greeks!  Instead, most often, we see him depicted as a jolly fat man who drinks. I am not saying that wasn't what he was sort of about, but he was also fairly grimdark for his time, what-with the insanity, gender-changing, and straight-up blighting/ruining families that he dishes out. I can attest to many benefits to alternative forms of adaptation, but this one is fairly silly and shows a failing of some stories to depict him properly. At least, “my” version of what I consider proper, which is the rub I guess!

SEE: What Disney thinks Dionysus should be, here from Hercules released in '97. Ironically, he's still a
horrible booze-hound, but at least he is jolly! All rights of this picture belong to Disney. 

SEE: Alan Cumming as Dionysus in The Bacchae. Credits to this picture
go to the following review of the play which starred Cummings. Notice the
lack of "Santa" he brings to this and more "Crazed Mime" ...


   So, I've discussed some ideas of how looking at and reading alternative versions of famous texts can be handy, as well as how they can also miss the mark at times. Still, the end goal is to broaden your horizons and to take in different opinions. I’d ask a student to read a comic adaptation of a book they may have previously disliked and see if something about another way of telling the story “catches” the reader.

   Best example? Read Pride and Prejudice and then read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies!