Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Approaching the Final Campaign


Approaching the Final Campaign

   As the upcoming first day of class approaches, I certainly find myself looking back ( happily! ) I have to certainly discuss what it has been like to be apart of so many groups on campus.

   Obviously, the biggest thing on campus I have been a part of has been the Game Club. We went from having a select few people discussing the idea of a club at a table, to having two selected days for running events on campus ( Warhammer Wednesdays and the normal Game Club sessions ), over 40 members at the height of our biggest meetings, and certainly we all gained numerous friends along the way.

   The chief concern with Clubs and things of that nature on campus is ( in my mind ) the sustainability of the club when the founding members have left.  From our founding members, two have graduated and three more are about to do so. We have gained many members, however from that number very few actively desire leadership positions. I am sure, however, in time we will have people step forward to make sure what a few people created, many can enjoy.

   One of the biggest things to talk about as I come to my end of being a club President is making sure to have this new semester be our biggest one yet. While we have had high highs ( 40+ members in one room at one point ), as well as low lows ( seven members in a room at one point ), it is important get enough new people aware of the Club so they can see what is available to them. Also, it would allow for new members to join up that might desire to take active leadership roles. That is what I am particularly excited about.

   Something else I am considering is what my “final campaign” will be for the Club. A campaign, for those unfamiliar with nerd-speak, is the combined story and gameplay meetings in a D&D game. I’ve run quite a few sessions, most of them which fizzle due to time, schedule changes, or test/school concerns. Still, I’d like to run one long 16 week session from start to finish for the players who might enjoy it. It will be something extravagant, something huge, and very likely something special. I am not prone to lavish displays of gaming theatrics, but … I just might!

   Whatever we all do, we’ll do it together and that is the point of what Clubs should result in here on the UT Tyler campus – unity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment