Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Random Acts of Kindness

            This week is a breath of fresh air for me at the University of Texas at Tyler. The Gay-Straight Alliance is passing out free stuff every day of the week! Why? A random act of kindness. No better excuse to brighten someone's day. Unless, of course, they have allergies. In cases such as those, then come get the: candies/pizza/inspirational quotes the rest of the week. Sorry to say you missed the cupcakes Monday.
            I have the privilege of being an officer of the club, and I got to head up flower day (Tuesday)! This morning, I took an early trip with the treasurer of our Student Government Association to Flowers by Louann, down by the hospital. We picked up a beautiful assortment of multicolored carnations. My friend Liz from my rhetoric class sat with me in HPR and helped me pass them out. Patrick came by and grabbed a few to take to the BUS. Bonnie (pictured left of me) came after her class a little after 11 and we met Brandy between the lakes!
           The opportunity to get out and open up a dialogue about kindness was eye opening. Not everyone we spoke too was 100% open to us, but I'm amazed at the amount of loving support we receive from the faculty, staff, and our peers here. One man even gave us a five dollar donation that will go towards extra t-shirts for our club when we do volunteer work. I'm very thankful.


Loose Moments from my Day:
  • "Is this really free?"
  • "I imagine Hell to be this garden, full of flowers, and Satan is a legit gardener." -a young woman with terrible allergies to things that grow
  • "Which one is the 'boy' color?"
  • "Oh no, I couldn't accept a flower. It would ruin my manly reputation."  
  • me: "Would you like a free flower? It is a random act of kindness from the Gay-Straight Alliance at UT Tyler!"
    them: "What's this for?"
    me: "...kindness?" 




*Most importantly, everyone deserves kindness. Even if they act like they don't. They probably need it more. A lesson that is too often brushed over.
****Also, pizza Thursday. B)

1 comment:

Ryann Warner said...

I think that this is a great idea!! I really laughed at the end when someone asked what this was for when it was clearly just a random act of kindness haha. :)

Post a Comment