Thursday, February 9, 2012

Free Movie

Tuesday night, I went to the UC Theatre for a free screening of a movie called Cairo Time. At first, I thought it was going to be a documentary about Egypt. I was totally into a documentary, regardless of how long I’d have to sit still. After I looked it up I discovered that it was a romantic drama, I wasn’t sure if I’d be into romance.

I thought twice about going. Maybe it would be lame? It was free and I had already invited a friend, so I attended anyway.
Best decision I’ve made for myself in a while.
It was a magnificently filmed and acted movie, even with the gooey lovie dovie parts.

Aside from that, it was a movie of clashing American and Middle Eastern culture. The way women were seen, specifically, interested me.

In one part Juliette, the leading lady played by Patricia Clarkson, enters a coffee shop to find her friend Tareq, played by Alexander Siddig. She talks to him for 5 minutes of the movie, and finally notices that everyone was staring at her, and asks why. She finds out that coffee shops are only for men! Everyone that was staring at her didn’t say anything because “it wouldn’t be polite”.

The GATE Program, or Global Awareness Through Education, is a two-year residential learning program and a series of planned events on campus that are designed for students. They are globally engaging, culturally diverse, and always fun.

 Free movies, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment