Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Simple Things

Nowadays a lot of people always thinks bigger is better, but most times it's just the simple things that matter. An example of this takes me back a couple years ago when i received the nicest thing anyone has ever given to me. It wasn't a car, a TV, or even laptop, but a simple wallet. Having a conversation with a really good friend and mentor of mine, he sees me pull out my torn, outdated, cluttered and packed wallet. He sees the condition of my wallet and tells me I need to lessen the load and carry only the essentials. He then shows me how his wallet looks (nice, thin and new) and tells me to make it like his. I proceed to get rid of the unnecessary cards and junk in it and make it resemble his. When I am done, he nods in agreement and remarks that the wallet is already old. He then takes everything out of his wallet and gives it to me asking only that I make sure to keep it the way he showed me. I, in shock, say no that's his wallet but he of course refuses. He says he has another at home and goes to put all his stuff in his wife's bag for her to hold. I was still surprised and appreciative of the genuine gesture. It wasn't even that he gave me a gift but that he was willing to give his own personal wallet. Two years later, I am still the proud owner of the surprisingly mint condition leather wallet in my back pocket. His advice was as nice as the wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment