Sunday, January 20, 2013

Patriot Jobs, it really IS helpful!

        It goes without say that most of us college students could use some extra money. After working at Chick-fil-a back home when I was in high school until the summer before college, I was definitely through with working in the fast food industry. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with working in restaurants, but personally I was ready to find a job that involved children. As I mentioned in earlier blogs, I am pursuing a Nursing degree and specializing in the pediatric field. I was eager to find a job that offered me opportunities to work with children and have some hands on experience with them. I know that back in Allen, it was really hard for me to find a job as well as juggling school and everything else in between. So, I was really lost on where to even begin the first semester I moved to a new city, Tyler. But you see, this is where Patriot Jobs came in handy:)


           If you guys don't know what Patriot Jobs is, it is a data base of jobs specifically listed for UT Tyler Students and Alumni. Employers contact UT Tyler Career Services seeking YOU. Yes! YOU, a UT Tyler Student. Isn't that just wonderful? So if you don't know how to work Patriot Jobs.. let me show you!

1. Go to the UT Tyler Career Services website where you see this























You are going to click on UT Tyler Students/ Alumni Log in HERE 

2. You will then see 
If you don't have a log in ,then you can click register. 

3. Once you enter the website you can then now see the job listing. You can even narrow the jobs by your preference such as, on campus, off campus, work study, and non-work study. There are also internships listed! It is SUPER user friendly. They have really outstanding job listing! You just have to go and see because it does vary each time you log in, job posting get taken down, and lots of them get added too! The perks of signing in with your preferred e-mail is that Patriot Jobs actually e-mail you when new job listings are posted. 

       The  only catch aside from making an account with Patriot Jobs is that before you can apply to these jobs is that you have to turn in a resume to have approved by Career Services. If they find ways to improve your resume then they would send the file back to you with corrections marked. Once you have made those corrections, and they feel like that is the best resume to fully showcase your assets then you have yourself  an approved resume that you can then attach when you apply to listed jobs. This process is the most tedious cause it can take more than one try to have your resume approved, but honestly in the end, you then have a handy dandy resume that you can build up on. 

       Patriot Jobs helped me find 5 jobs since fall of 2012. F-I-V-E!!! To me that's crazy cause I spend probably months trying to even get interviewed back in high school. Not to mention, I landed this outstanding job here as part of theStudent Communication Team :) So, for all of you unemployed UT Tyler Student, or just want to get away from your current job, or even want to add another job then definitely give Patriot Jobs a try. Promise it'll be all worth it. You never know just what amazing opportunity is out there for you:) 

2 comments:

20-something girl. said...

Such an informative blog, Gabby! Keep up the good work.

I hope your semester is off to a GREAT start!

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting about this. You know, we are hiring! ;)

Post a Comment