Sunday, March 4, 2012

How-to Eat an Elephant....


Drawing by Sean Gallo - at - www.seangallo.com

My semester seriously threw up on me! I am not going to lie, this semester so far has been relatively easy. I have really had too many assignments, not really any test which was too hard, no big projects… until now! I believe professors have a sixth sense to know when spring break is coming and make your time right before you leave extremely exhausting and miserable. You may think this is so you are more able to completely enjoy your spring break, or you may think it is so all of your real anger comes to the surface at once and they then give you a week to cool down, but I believe the answer to be much simpler. I think it is easier for professors to assign major projects due right before spring break, because this way they have more time to grade them. Either way this week I have two tests, one paper, two projects, and a presentation all before Thursday! Why Thursday? Because I leave for Israel on Thursday! (I know I super excitedJ) Yeah, I leave the country on Thursday and my professors expect me to get all this done. Like any college student who gets way over stressed I called my mom who piped in with her usual logical advice which I most of the time despise. But this time, it made a lot of sense. The conversation went like this: 
Mom:  “Courtney, how would you eat an elephant”
Me: “What?”
Mom: “if there was a big elephant right in front of you, how would you eat it?”
Me: “Mom, that’s weird why would I eat an elephant they are huge! I would probably get fat and then be even more stressed so the answer is I wouldn’t.”
Mom: “Nope, not an option…. Would you try to eat it in one bite?”
Me: “No….”
Mom: “So how would you eat it?”
Me: “In bites…. Mom this is weird what are you try…”
Mom: “Exactly! One bite at a time! So take everything one step at a time focus on right now and getting your first assignment done, and then move on to the next bite. Just like eating an elephant you have to take it one bite at a time or else you will get really overwhelmed and freak out.”
So, with this logical advice (thanks mom) I will move on about my week and hopefully get everything done “one bite at a time”. (I am still going to schedule everything out in my wonderful planner J)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can so hear that conversation. true to form from both of you. love you both b.e,

ChiefCrunchy said...

Hi - I see you are using my elephant dawing here.

Please update this post to attribute credit to me - Sean Gallo - and my website - www.seangallo.com.

Thanks for your cooperation - and best of luck with the blog!

Sean

Unknown said...

Yes, I will handle that! Sorry! This was before we completely understood how this thing works. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Post a Comment