Sunday, October 23, 2011

Middle School Observations

Last week was a very long and interesting one. As you know, I started teaching observations at Moore MST Middle School last Monday for my education classes. Going into it, I wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't really know the teacher all that well, I wasn't sure how me being there was going to effect the students, I wasn't even sure if I would have a good parking space when I got there. When I did start everything up, however, it wasn't as scary as I made it sound. I would be watching an 8th grade Language Arts class. The class was a fairly small one, only about 10 kids, so that made observing everything so much easier. The teacher was one of the sweetest women I've ever met, so that made watching her class a lot easier, too. During my week-long observations, I got to see that each student had a different way of learning and behaving. Some of her students were really talkative and involved in class; a few were really quiet and stayed to themselves. A couple of students were really disruptive (there's always at least one, but in this class there were two), and another couple were, from what I could tell, kind of lazy or unmotivated. I also noticed there was a main group of about four who liked to do their work together. The rest were independent  for the most part, unless the two class clowns in the room decided to sit together and avoid work.  Being in that room reminded me of my 8th grade class (ages ago). It made me wonder if me or my friends ever talked and acted like these 8th graders did.

All in all, my middle school observations were interesting to say the least. This week, I start at John Tyler High School. This time, it won't be such a throwback for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment