Monday, November 15, 2010

Thanksgiving Is Near.... What does Thanksgiving really mean to you?

Growing up you made this really cute little turkey or you had the picture with all the vegetables attached in the basket. So you automatically thought that Thanksgiving is about food. Or you colored the pictures with the Pilgrims and the Indians all at the table having dinner all together. Or school plays you were participating in to show the true meaning of Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving begin in 1621, the Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Indians shared an autumn harvest feast that is acknowledged today as one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations in the colonies. For more than two centuries, days of thanksgiving were celebrated by individual colonies and states. It wasn't until 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, that President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national Thanksgiving Day to be held each November. Well I experienced all these events as well. But as you gather around you table to share dinner with your family you may be asked “What does Thanksgiving mean to you? “ I begin to think and I immediately eliminated the food and the history to which Thanksgiving was founded on. I thought more of family and how grateful I am to be in a house with family and friend to share this special day with. Most of all I really am grateful for my life and how much I over came so far during the year. I wonder what answer I will give this year. I really haven’t thought much about it but I begin to wonder is there anything else to be Thankful for that I haven’t already said Thank You for. I don’t believe you should wait until the day of Thanksgiving to share how gratefully you are. Every day that you make it through without being harmed or ill is something to be Thankful for. I challenge everyone to express how grateful they are now instead of waiting until Thanksgiving Day around the dinner table to express how they feel. This is a great way to acknowledge those people that may feel like they are over looked. If you would like to share what you are grateful for leave a comment…. Or if you want tell someone “Thank You” for something that they have done for you and they just don’t hear it enough please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment