Monday, March 15, 2010

Day One: Nicaragua

Two weeks ago my student organization went to Nicaragua to participate in a service project that involved building a pipeline that would help bring running water to a needy village. I brought the iflip with me to document my journey. The following details are accounts of my experience.

Day One: Wednesday, February 24th. We took off from Tyler's so called airport and after a solid 40 minutes in the air we had finally arrived at our first destination, Houston. In my mind, a four hour layover means find a nice bar and drink a few Long Island Iced Teas. So, one by one we all ditched the Dean at the terminal and met for drinks at the one and only Pappadeaux. After an L.I.T. or three I was ready to dream away the long flight to the capital of Nicaragua.

Our flight landed in Managua around 11:00 pm. It was a 2 hour drive from the airport to Chinandega where we would be staying for one night. The road conditions in Nicaragua, one word...Fear!! Road rage galore. The driver did not seam to notice himself driving like a maniac or the passengers holding on for dear life in the back. Observation: Nicaragua has few street lights.

We made it to our first location around 1:00 am. I had a hunch the group would not see bed's for the next few days so I took full advantage of the lumpy bunk beds AmigosForChrist had made for us. I awoke feeling refreshed and ready to work....

3 comments:

Cameron Leger said...

By reading this and watching the video, you have made me intrigued and I can't wait for the next blogs. Makes me wish I would've went! Good job Cedric!

Robert Collier said...

Haha great first blog bro! I'm ready to start on mine and see the rest of what you come up with... it made re-live the first night of our trip; dodging semis and trucks on the highway.

Jerry Fisher said...

Well done C . . . keep it coming. It's been 30 years since I was down there and it looks like things haven't changed much at all (other than y'all had the deluxe accomodations). . . lol

Ahh . . . memories!

Post a Comment