Just four years ago, this is the event that the “Who’s Who” of Texas politics chose to attend—politicians, businesspersons, and celebrities who wield influence in the political arena. Of course at that time George W. Bush was just re-elected as President of the United States, and the proudest state in the union hosted the event. Still the proudest state, The Texas Inaugural Black Tie & Boots Ball gave the Archers one of the finest nights we encountered in Washington, D.C. Also, this was the night that was going to usher in the era of Change to Washington and end “politics as usual.” While I have not soured on our current president, I am not naïve to the realities of our bitter political climate and many of the same—and even more of worse—problems that existed before he become president still remain today. However, this was an occasion for celebration! And this was evident in the subway rides to and from home (one photo included).
Anyways, I just wanted to share with you a few pictures from that night. Here you go:
This is a picture with U.S. Senator (TX) John Cornyn & his wife, Archer Alum & friend Alina, & me. Doesn't Alina look pretty? She is a wonderful person, too! We were lucky to catch Senator Cornyn during the Ball because everyone was hounding him for a picture. Though we didn’t know it at the time, Archers are afforded an opportunity to have a coffee & brunch-style meeting with both of the senators from the state of Texas, so we met him again later in the semester. There is also a very funny story from this picture.
This photo is of (from left to right) Archer Alum & good friend Jon, Bishop T.D. Jakes of The Potter's House, me, & Alina. Bishop T.D. Jakes serves as a spiritual advisor to President Obama and his weekly sermons attract over 30,000 members to his church in Dallas, TX! And Jon is the friend that I mentioned in a previous blog whom was recently offered acceptance into Harvard Law. I'm still extremely happy for, and proud of, him!
Haha this picture brings back a good memory! On the way home from the Inaugural Ball, we took the subway back to the Capitol. This subway was Packed with happy people and filled with positive energy in anticipation of the Inauguration the following day. People were chanting "O-bam-a! O-bam-a!" and pumping their fists while cheering "Yes We Can! Yes We Can!" In the moment, I erupted into my own rendition of the Martin Luther King Jr. "I Have a Dream" speech tailored to Obama’s presidency. We got a lot of laughs from it.Just a reminder that applications for the Bill Archer Fellowship for University of Texas at Tyler students are due on February 26, 2010 in UCX206 to Ashley Ward (YOU STILL HAVE TIME!). If you’d like more information on the fellowship, please feel free to contact Ashley Ward or Michael Eidenmuller. You can also leave a comment or message me and I’d be happy to answer any of your questions!
The Bill Archer Fellowship is a wonderful opportunity! Take a look at the website (http://www.archercenter.org/) to see if it is an opportunity that interests you! Also, if you liked that Fresh Prince shout-out earlier in the blog, check out this link. It's from one of the funniest episodes on the show and it's something I like to bust out when I feel like the people are ready... Unfortunately, there's a video somewhere of a friend and me doing it on Facebook. Please, I know you've done it too--don't judge. Anyways, enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment